With the death of Gough Whitlam Australia has been reflecting on Australia’s Whitlam era . Like it or hate it it was a time of great change. Many changes made life better for women and children here are just some of them.
- Implemented Equal Pay for Women,
- launched an Inquiry into Education and the Funding of Government and Non-government
- Schools on a Needs Basis,
- Abolished Tertiary Education Fees,
- Established the Tertiary Education Assistance Scheme (TEAS),
- Increased pensions,
- Established Medibank (medicare today),
- Passed the Family Law Act establishing No-Fault Divorce,
- Passed a series of laws banning Racial and Sexual Discrimination,
- Extended Maternity Leave and Benefits for Single Mothers,
- Initiated Australia’s first Federal Legislation on Human Rights, the Environment and Heritage,
- Established the Legal Aid Office,
- Established the Prices Justification Tribunal,
- Implemented a national employment and training program.
But there is so much more that happened in just 3 years The Conversation got several experts to reflect on the Whitlam ‘s life and legacy . Read to learn more https://theconversation.com/gough-whitlams-life-and-legacy-experts-respond-33228